Pages

Thursday, November 13, 2014

ODP But Not Really


With the Water Polo Fall Ball season coming to an end, the tryouts for ODP commence! ODP is the Olympic Development Program and has different zones. The zone that I will be trying out for is the Mountain Zone Team. This team includes Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, and Utah. There are two tryout camps that are both two days long. The first one is in Salt Lake at the Kearns pool. The second camp is in Albuquerque, where we will be traveling to shortly before winter break ends. There are a few players on our team that are hoping to make it.

The reason why I have called this blog post "ODP but Not Really" is because we are trying out for ODP, but they make it sound like we are getting ready for the Olympics. In reality, it is just a step up from the club sport. Now, don't get me wrong. I am REALLY excited for this opportunity because you get to travel places, and you might even get to go to Nationals! The team that I would be trying out for is the U15's. There are about eleven people to a team, so I am hoping that I am one of these lucky few.






It's really important to get out of your state sometimes to see how sports work in other states. In Utah, water polo isn't very good because they don't play the way that should be played. In California, they teach Olympic-style water polo which would obviously be the best choice. There are a few techniques that are taught in Utah that should definitely be shut down if a player ever wants to get past the club level.

Team Suit
Team Jacket
Overall, I am very excited to start ODP camps, for I think that it will be a great experience. If I make the team, it will be even better! Below are some pics of the cool gear you get if you make ODP. Stay tuned for more posts coming soon!


All photos courtesy of : USA Water Polo
Team Bag
Team Shirt
Team Pants

No comments:

Post a Comment